UU2014 is a Responsive and Accessibility-Ready WordPress Theme designed to meet the needs of Unitarian Universalist Congregations and other UU organizations
The theme serves several key needs for congregations:
- Accessibility: The theme recently became the 10th theme to earn the accessibility-ready tag from WordPress.org which requires a theme to undergo an independent review against the WordPress.org accessibility guidelines. These guidelines ensure that WordPress themes allow users to navigate by keyboard, use screen readers, and easily read text with sufficient contrast. This will be a continued focus for future maintenance of the theme.
- Mobile Device Support: The theme is fully responsive to smaller screens such as mobile phones and uses the Underscores framework to provide the latest WordPress features and browser compatibility.
- Customizable: The theme is easy to customize with support for widget areas in two sidebars, the header, and the footer. It also allows you to easily disable features including the UU title image, UU footer image, comments, favicon, sidebars, and widget areas. Through the use of transparency, colors throughout the theme will shift to complement whatever image or color you choose for the page background.
- Supported: You can find the support forum for questions and requests on GitHub
UU Congregations and Organizations can create free UU WordPress sites here on UUWP.org in minutes
If you register on this site, you can create your own UU website. This site utilizes WordPress Multi-Site to allow registered users to have their own site with the name “something.uuwp.org”. Please enter a real UU congregation/organization name when you register or your site might be mistaken for SPAM. If you wish to use your own domain name (“www.something.org” instead of “something.uuwp.org”), contact the theme’s author who can provide instructions for updating your DNS server. You can also ask any questions you have about where this server is hosted and how it is backed up. You will also need to contact the author if you would like to request any additional WordPress plugins to be added to the server. Non-UU individuals and organizations are still very welcome to use the UU2014 WordPress theme on their own sites.
If you are unfamiliar with UU, additional information is available on the Unitarian Universalist Association website:
- Unitarian Universalist Beliefs
- Principles and Purpose
- Are My Beliefs Welcome?
- Other Frequently Asked Questions
- Flaming Chalice: Symbol of Unitarian Universalism
To see the theme in action with live content, visit some of the UU websites who have adopted the theme*:
- Unitarian Universalist Church of Kent, Ohio
- Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Columbus, Georgia
- Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Santa Cruz County
- Unitarian Universalist Church of Washington County
- CERGing Forward – The CERG Regional Blog
- Better Together – By the Staff of the Ohio-Meadville and St. Lawrence Districts
- The Newberry UU – Clayton Memorial Unitarian Universalist Church
- First Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Albuquerque, NM
- Florence Unitarian Universalist Fellowship
- Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the Eastern Slopes
- San Gabriel Unitarian Universalist Fellowship
- Unitarian Fellowship of South Florida
- Thermal Belt Unitarian Universalist Fellowship
* Please note that some of these sites look different because they need to update to the current version of the theme
The latest releases are always available at WordPress.org/themes/uu-2014
You can view the source code or contribute to the project at https://github.com/dflippo/UU2014.
If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or issues please create an issue on GitHub where the author or another user of the theme can help you: https://github.com/dflippo/UU2014/issues
Here are some of the other more interesting things you’ll find in this theme:
- You can choose between traditional UU Chalice symbols and the new UUA logo for your header and footer. This and many other custom theme settings are available in the `Appearance -> Customize` menu of WordPress.
- The theme will intelligently prompt you to install the Featured Articles Lite plugin that adds functionality to the theme. You can skip the installation but you can use this plugin to create a very nice new post slider on your homepage. This is especially nice if you use a page as your homepage instead of a blog.
- Floating Widget Area: The theme can display a floating widget area to the right of pages and individual posts. It will hide the widget area if the page is too narrow.
- The ‘style.css’ file is organized so that you can see which styles came from _s and which have been updated by UU2014.
- Please provide feedback to the authors if you have improvements that could benefit other congregations using the theme.
- Licensed under GPLv2 or later. Use it to make something cool.
Webmaster, UU Church of Kent, Ohio